In April 2007 (when I became a Certified Stepfamily Coach), 75% of step parents reportedly were frustrated about a lack of resources and help. They can’t say that today!
So many are emerging, and quickly, that I can’t keep up. So, by no means think that this is an exhaustive list.
This page is my list that I refer to clients. I have personally reviewed, used, or have a professional relationship with all of these resources. I update it periodically. If you know of a good resource I should add, feel free to e-mail me with the information for me to review and add it here.
My Favorite Resources
Stepfamily and Co-Parenting
- StepMom Magazine: an on-line magazine. StepDads, there’s plenty in here for you too! Plus, much of what’s relevant for StepMoms is also relevant for StepDads.
- StepMom’s Toolbox Radio Show on blogtalk: Weekly interviews with valuable information for every member of the stepfamily. Access archives of interviews dating back to 2010.
- National Stepfamily Resource Center:Statistics and a wealth of information and more resources.
- Secrets to Stepfamily Success: book. Comprehensive manual on why stepfamilies are complex and what can be done to be successful. This is especially nice for therapists, coaches, or other professionals who are working with stepfamilies.
- ReMarriageWorks: website with many resources, especially for newly remarried couples with children. I especially like and advocate her Journal for StepMoms.
- BuckeyeBonusMom: resource page on her website with a LONG list of books. Check out her Facebook group for awesome stepmom support.
- StepMom Central: another awesome support group on Facebook for stepmoms!
- Stepfamily Systems Co-Parenting Center. Something for everyone here. Resources and support, backed by her own research – and Boot camps if you’re in Riverside, CA area.
- No One’s the Bitch: website, blog, and book, and FB page promoting stepmoms and moms building a relationship.
- Co-Parenting 101: website, blog, podcasts, and a place to get advice from a mom and ex-husband who both remarried and co-parent as a foursome.
- National Stepfamily Day Foundation: Facebook page recognizing National Stepfamily Day, Sept 16, founded by this non-profit organization. Christy Tusing-Borgeld shares events, links, and other valuable information.
- Facebook is full of groups for each person in a stepfamily regardless of your position, perspective, or unique situation. Search and find the one that’s right for you. 🙂 ♥
Supplement to blended family resources
Once you understand how to be a stepfamily instead of trying to be a first family, you can incorporate new parenting techniques together
- Slow Parenting Teens: website talking about book of same title by Molly Wingate and Marti Woodward. You can buy the book here too.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families: book by Stephen R. Covey. You can also Google his blog, YouTube channel, and related material.
- Mommy Guilt: website featuring a couple chapters to book of same title by Julie Bort, Aviva Pflock, & Devra Renner. You can buy the book here too.
- Parenting Powers: website for Susan Epstein. Lots of advice, products, and services for even your toughest of parenting challenges.
- The Left Out Child: The Importance of Friendship: ebook and 1 hour recording of author / parent educator, Auntie Artichoke (Judy H. Wright). 100% money-back guarantee in 90-days.
- How to Get Your Kids to Help at Home: MP3. 60 min by Parent Educator, Auntie Artichoke (Judy H. Wright).
NOT meant to replace legal consultation, but to give you more knowledge and help
- Win Your Child Custody Battle: instant download: 100% risk-free. On sale for limited time.
- American Parental Action League (APAL): Facebook group to give you support and help you find more resources. I highly recommend this for fathers who are fighting for equal rights or against Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS).
Other Places to Find Me
- My original blog, Sensible Steps on Blogger. Early articles and posts which I never imported here.
- Ezine Articles. My bio page with a list of articles I published.
- Examiner. Step Parenting Examiner in Phoenix. current articles